Thursday, September 19, 2013

Today I bought my first Windows 8 desktop PC

September 9, 2013 10:16 finds me writing this entry because I am more excited than I thought I would be about this moment. Allow me to go back, I have been pacing about a new computer purchase so I can be productive while I apply for state jobs in Sacramento.

I have been to Fry's, then Best Buy, each twice three weeks apart. I had given up for the time being for lack of a qualified candidate. Duel-core processor, 6-8 GB of ram and 1T of memory, all for a price I feel comfortable paying at this time. Those two store could not keep me interested -- Best Buy was close with a price at $499. Didn't feel it, though, with some upcoming auto maintenance and limited resources.

I happened upon Office Depot while passing the time to pick up a friend from school. I found the machine I had been looking for, at a price I could not walk away from: $299. It was the computer powering the display monitors. I got it on the cheap and made a good computer contact with the IT-sales guy in the store.

Here I am, a computer and no monitor. Oh well, I got a great deal and I will have to save up for the monitor is no problem. I'm game; because, I got a great deal on this tower with AMD A-6 processor. I take my friend home and talk about the computer purchase and my subsequent monitor-problem. Turns out her brother has an extra monitor and gives it to me for keeps!

So I set it up and realized I got the HDMI cable but no power cable. But that ain't a problem for a musician like me. I have cords at that voltage already. Boom, headphones connected and the race is on.

I am the first in my family to run Windows 8.
I am the first NOT to delete the stuff I need on the computer:
                AMD Catalyst Install Manager
                Bonjour
                HP Connected Remote
                IDT Audio
                Microsoft SkyDrive
                Microsoft SQL Server
                Microsoft C++ (multiple apps)
                Wi-Fi Adapter

I am the first to figure out how to delete all the crap that is pre-installed...
                Clear Desktop of shortcuts
                CyberLink Corp. (multiple apps)
                HP (multiple apps)
                Norton Internet Security
                Wild Tangent Games

This process is time consuming yet productive. I am not multi-tasking, except on my iPhone to write this entry in real-time as I experience the excitement of my first Windows 8 experience. The final uninstall was Symantec, which also required a re-boot. Total efficiency; and, the Giants won their second extra-innings walk-off in a row. Today was a good day.

Got connected to Wi-Fi. I nearly forgot about that stage. The last time I had a desktop PC and needed to connect to the Internet was in high school at my house in Southern California. That particular computer shared a hard-line with our home telephone. 

Made some tiles smaller, unpinned, and uninstalled programs. My new monitor does not have a camera, but I found out how to get out of a program and back to the tiles. First thing I do is play Solitaire...

Microsoft requires an account I am not in the mood to set up right now. Since I unpinned Internet Explorer, I have to figure out a way to get on the Internet, download Chrome and pin it to my start screen.

 I used Bing, I found its tile. However, when searching from Bing, your web browser is IE. Default is now Chrome, I wonder if I search on Bing and have the search open in Chrome? I prefer Chrome as my default browser -- I like that we have choice in America.

The programs the Microsoft has created are glich-prone and crash more often than I care to keep track of. Though I am generally pleased with the way content is presented. I don't believe I would be as aware of the crashing if I did not use them as often as I do. 

About the apps that load sports, news, and financial data, I do not like that I have no way to access the article through the app if I want to keep the link as a source or archive the article. And, the new app interface and the desktop do not work well together. Like, I can't be reading a story on the Finance app and simultaneously be jotting notes on Microsoft Word via the desktop.

I have no other complaints or comments. Some consumers and IT professionals do not like Windows 8, it doesn't bother me more than the few things I mentioned above. We will get used to it or buy another operating system. I give Windows 8 a neutral rating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment